1. What are the types of examinations conducted by NIOSH?
NIOSH conducts eight types of examinations, namely:
a) Safety and Health Officer (SHO) Examinations
b) Chemical Health Risk Assessment (CHRA) Examinations
c) Industrial Hygiene Technician (IHT) 1 Examinations
d) Occupational Health Doctor (OHD) Examinations
e) Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) Examinations
f) Competency Assessment for Crane Operators
g) Authorised Gas Tester (AGT) Examinations
h) Occupational First Aid (OFA) Examinations
i) Scaffolding Examinations
2. What is the SHO Workshop? How can I register for it?
The SHO workshop is a one day programme to prepare candidates for the SHO examinations. It comprises two sessions which will cover the four modules taught in the course, the types of questions that will be asked and techniques to answer them. To register, you are required to fill in the training application form and send it to the Programme Management Unit, Training Division NIOSH.
3. What is a refresher course? How do I know when a refresher course is being held?
A refresher course is a course conducted for candidates of the CHRA, IHT, OHD and OHN exams. Candidates will be informed of the dates of the refresher for their respective exams. The objective of the refresher course is to review the course syllabus and prepare the candidates for the coming examination. The one to two-day courses comprise both theory and practical sessions.
4. How can a candidate register for a refresher course?
To register, you are required to fill in the training application form and send it to the respective divisions - CHRA, IHT to the Industrial Hygiene Division and OHD,OHN to the Occupational Health Division of NIOSH.
5. When will NIOSH send the competency certificate to the candidate ?
The Examination and Certification Unit will send the certificate via mail within two weeks after the results have been endorsed and approved by the NIOSH Certification Committee or the Board of Examiners.
6. What are the necessary documents required to apply for the Hygiene Technician 1 Exams?
The Examination form has to be fully completed and attached with copies of your Certificate of Attendance for the Industrial Hygiene Technician 1 course, SPM certificate and the examination fees.
7. What are the necessary documents required to apply for the Safety and Health Officer Exams?
The Examination form has to be fully completed and attached with copies of your Certificate of Attendance for the Safety and Health Officer course, SPM certificate (minimum) and the examination fees.
8. Do I need to pay the exam fees upon application?
Yes, your application for examination has to be accompanied by the full payment of fees. Applications without fees will not be processed.
9. What do I need to do after passing the SHO exams? How do I register with JKKP/DOSH?
You are required to complete the SHO Registration Form (as in Schedule 1, SHO Regulations 1997). Forms may be obtained from DOSH. Please bring along copies of your certificate of attendance for SHO course, letter showing your SHO exam results, and documentation of your working experience (minimum three (3) years experience in OSH) and RM100 processing fees to be submitted to DOSH.
10. If I fail my exams, can I make an appeal to NIOSH?
Yes, however only borderline cases can appeal. The appeal has to be made within two weeks after the announcement of results. Appeals received later than two weeks will not be entertained.
11. How much do I have to pay for an appeal and review of the papers? Is this amount refundable?
The payment for appeal and revision is RM50.00. The fees are not refundable, whatever the outcome of the review.
12. I lost/misplaced my NIOSH competency certificate/certificate of attendance. What do I do?
You may write in to our Examination and Certification Unit you request for a duplicate copy. Please enclose a copy of the police report, the certificate reprinting form and RM10.00 processing fees.
13. What do I need to bring when sitting for the exams?
You need to bring your IC/ID document, and the necessary stationary.